Discover more from Dad Things
Dad Things (And Other Interesting Things) - Issue #3
Happy Monday everyone. First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback so far and welcome to the new subscribers. I appreciate the follow. I apologize as I missed posting last week. I set myself a goal to try and post every Wednesday, but our kids' Christmas program was last Tuesday night so I never got around to posting. Funny story, it was our youngest's first Christmas program so we were excited to see his performance. About halfway through their song, he decided not to sing the rest of the song, and proceeded to turn around and cross his arms. The entire church got a kick out of CJ's quirky personality. The best part? Once the song was done, he turned around and gave the biggest bow.
Thanks for reading. If you enjoyed this, please forward to someone who might also.
Floating in the Wind
If you're like me, you were anxiously awaiting the availability of Disney +. With two kids, the cost of $7/mo to all of Disney's content including Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. is a no brainer. What I've enjoyed most, though, are the Disney + exclusives.
What I was looking forward to the most was the Pixar short, Float. I first heard of this on Instagram through the director/producer of Float, Bobby Rubio. Bobby is a great follow in Instagram. He was born and raised in San Diego and now lives in the Bay Area (like me!). Among posts about his life and the Chargers, he started teasing about his new project.
Float is great because it's a story all parents can relate to and it is the first Pixar short that features Filipino American characters. I won't spoil too much but make sure to look for all the San Diego Easter eggs.
Every week, new content gets added and this week, Wind was released. It might be too early to tell but I think Wind might be a tad better than Float. On the surface, it's a story about a grandmother and grandson trying to escape a floating rock that they live on. Examining further, it's a story all first generation children can relate to.
The Secret to Enjoying a Long Winter - Kottke.org is a great site for interesting links like this. Similar to the point I made last week, it's all about changing your mindset.
52 things I learned in 2019 - I love listicles like this.
34. 28% of people like the smell of (their own) urine after eating asparagus. (I'm part of the other 72%.)
52. Asking ‘What questions do you have for me?’ can be dramatically more effective than ‘Any questions?’ at the end of a talk. (Many more good tips in this thread. (I end my presentations this way.)